View Single Post
      04-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I just don't understand the point in engine braking.

People used it in the past because brakes just weren't effective enough, but why use it these days except for keeping your speed in check when going downhill?

If it's winter, put winter tyres on and if you're still sliding then brake earlier and more gently.
I know our brakes are so much better these days, but there is still a good feeling when pushing on, balancing a car on the throttle. That can only happen when you can load/unload the drivetrain.

Autos aren't really designed for that anyway, just the following, as applied to the 6-speed autoboxes.

Quote:
Driving downhill
If the EGS control unit detects downhill driving, it will automatically shift down a gear if the vehicle's speed picks up. This enhances the engine's braking effect. A downshift is only effected if the engine speed is below the maximum speed of the lower gear.
The EGS control unit detects downhill driving on the basis of signals from the throttle valve potentiometer (load), wheel speed sensor (road speed) and brake light switch (brake activation).
As to driving in snow, even on winter tyres (as I use), engine braking using the rear wheels, is the safest and more controlled way to deccelerate fast and straight, if conditions are bad.

Plus it means if the roads are empty (as they often are up here), you can press on a bit faster on snow, with the benefit of engine braking.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0