View Single Post
      03-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Henchman #5
BMW states the MPG of the 335i MT is rated at 20/30 (23 overall), and the 8AT is rated at 23/33 (26 overall). However, I've been pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy I've been getting with my own 335i M-sport MT: 25-26 MPG (calculated manually, about 75% highway, mostly comfort mode with a smattering of Ecopro and sport/sport+). Based on data reported in MPG-related threads here and on Fuelly, it seems like many other MT drivers are getting similar results.

Supposedly, the 8-speed auto is amazingly adept at finding the perfect gear to maintain efficiency, while in contrast the MT of the 335 suffers from close ratios, two less gears, and an antiquated shifting control mechanism (i.e. a human being).

So my question is, how is it that the MT seems to be getting very close to and often better numbers than the 8AT? Various hypotheses:

1. The efficiency of the 8AT is overrated.
2. The efficiency of the 335 MT is underrated.
3. Selection bias. The people living in big cities with dense traffic go with the auto; and bad traffic = poor MPG.
4. MT owners are by nature more conscientious drivers.
5. Most young bucks don't even know how to drive a stick any more. Thus, the people who do know how to drive a stick and who still enjoy it are middle-aged guys. . . . but their testosterone levels are dropping precipitously (i.e. "low T"), and so even though they fancy themselves as still young and hip and exciting in their sporty BMWs, in reality, they just don't drive that fast any more.

Thoughts?
no... you should also drive the auto in the same manner with controlled variables in order for you to come up with a conclusion based on your driving pattern and habits. If I were to drive a manual I am sure that I am going to get worse mileage than auto.