10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
Are they?
I wonder what would hold better overtime though..
I had heated leatherette seats in my E46 325i.
They were great.
Leatherette holds up better over time vs leather.
After 3yrs of use the leatherette looked like new.
In my 135i I had leather and after only 2.5yrs it started showing light signs of wear on the left thigh and left upper bolster, from entry and exit.

The leather in the 1 and 3 series is ok, nothing special, but imo and experience it doesn't hold up as one would expect in a "premium" automobile.

As for leather "breathing" better, I haven't felt it to any appreciable extent. Whatever they coat the leather with seems to remove or reduce any inherent breathability of leather. Maybe if it were in a more natural state it would breathe better, but then it likely be even less durable than it is.
'Ette doesn't require any maintenance, whereas leather does respond to a good cleaning and conditioning at least once a year.
Still it didn't help my leather from showing signs of wear in my 135i, which has the same quality leather as the 3 series.

I have leather in my 335i Msport. I don't expect it to wear any better than the 135i's leather. It feels pretty much like the same stuff.

Leather wears in a bit better over time vs leatherette, but 'ette also wears in a bit over time feeling like it has a bit more give than when new.
Great stuff.
Appreciate 0