03-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #82
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
I agree. But that universal understanding is that "sporty" equals stratospheric RPMs just because in 100 years or so of automobilism, revving the hell out of the engine was the only way to get maximum pull.

Well, to those people who still believe that: welcome to the 21st century
Look, I agree with you, but you are making a small mistake here.

For utilitarian purposes (going from house to work, for example) NOTHING is better than diesel right now. As a matter of fact, I commute, shop and generally function using my TDI. The car in the signature picture is ONLY for driving. Where driving means no destination, on roads that have little or no straights, no traffic lights, no Stop signs and, above all, no other "drivers".

I absolutely LOVE commuting and generally functioning in my diesel. Sometimes I even take it for driving and it makes me smile. But make no mistake, you want gasoline, high-revving car for equivalent of motoring orgasm. It's not about power as you imply in your post, it is about high revving and sound. Double-clutched and rev-matched downshift at 6,000 rpms before storming the corner in a prayer to remain alive at the exit is something you just can't do it so perfectly in the diesel - at least not in diesels we get in U.S.