03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #42
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1338 View Post
In Western Europe, a worker costs his employer roughly 2x his gross salary. This includes all kinds of taxes which are used to pay for universal unemployment, universal health care, the list goes on.

So with the crazy figure of $150k a year total comp:

Total comp: $150k
- employer taxes of $75k
= Gross salary: $75k

Or in EUR: 57,648

This would be a high income by European standards. The truth is that, the actual income of a factory worker in Germany is around 25k gross or 18 EUR/hour, and yes they still have to pay income tax.

To me the poster above and the Forbes article have an agenda of legitimization of the UAW actions and trying to pass them off as merely keeping up with their European counterparts, when in fact they are the most well paid factory workers in the WORLD and that's not stopping them from whining any occasion they got.

But like I said the UAW is actually a fair, gentle and caring organization when compared to the evil CGT in France. These guys will actually sabotage and burn their factories and kidnap the plant manager with no action whatsoever from law enforcement, justice or politicians. Actually this is encouraged.
I was actually pointing out that the UAW workers are probably overpaid, and the article was too. The union always tries to say they need more money, etc and the article was comparing them to other workers in similar industries and showing how much they make, especially considering all the benefits. Not bad considering many of those jobs don't require a college degree.

Also, just some quick math, you mentioned 18/hour being 25k. It's actually over 36k, assuming they work 40 hours a week. Maybe you meant part time workers?

Regardless, it's neither here nor there, just trying to point out facts. Not a fan of unions in general because many have turned too greedy and willing to strike/protest when they are better paid by a large margin when compared to their non union counterparts. But let's not get on that discussion...
Appreciate 0