View Single Post
      04-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
i have received a lot of questions about the installation of the painted reflectors. i have attached a pic of the reflectors before installation, as you can see there is a pull tab in the corner. around the reflector is a strong adhesive, so you will pull the tab and remove the sticker covering right before you install.

step 1
Drive around for a little while and let everything get hot. (This will make it MUCH easier to remove the reflector). to install you must turn your steering wheel so that your wheel is pointing toward the inside of your car; exposing the front side wheel well. then remove a couple of screws holding the wheel well. after you remove a couple you will be able to pull it back enough to get behind the wheel well.

step 2
Use "Goo-Gone" / 3M remover / "Oops"... now, apply the 3M remover to the outside of the reflector around the edges and also behind the reflector, behind the bumper. I used "Oops" and just squirted it all around the reflector and it worked like magic. from behind the reflector pry around the factory reflector and also press on it from the outside of the car.

step 3
Now, just SLOWLY push the reflector in (from outside the bumper). Start from the left of the reflector and work your way to the right, slowly pushing the reflector in. You can repeat step 2 as many times as you want to loosen up the 3M tape even more. after it removes wipe down any excess goo gone, get it dry on the inside of the opening. finally, pull the tab on the new painted reflector and press into place - obviously it is installed from the inside of the car. reinstall the wheel well and then repeat on the other side.
Attached Images

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*

Last edited by matt_435xi; 04-14-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0