View Single Post
      01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
Just added a quart at 2314. Rate of consumption seems to have gone up. 50% for ~600 miles. Dealer said it was normal (don't buy it) and it would subside after 5k miles. Vaguely remember a VW dealer saying the same crap. Beginning to wonder if the Germans have trouble making engines. My Frieda who all drive Lexus or Infinity never complain about oil consumption.
Did your gauge get to the "Min" level, and then you added a quart?

I'm at about 5K miles and I'm still reading Max.
Turbo's do tend to "use" more oil, but it shouldn't be at the rate of 1 quart every 2K miles.

That said, my E46 325i with an NA engine did need a quart by around the 12K mark, but after the first oil change it only used about 1//2 quart between changes, which were around 12K-14K miles.
My 135i was about the same even though it had the N54 turbo.
So, yes, consumption should slow down.
If it's going up, then BMW needs to take a look at it..

BTW, how did you do your break in? I ask for curiosity sake, as everyone has their preference.
I always do an aggressive break in procedure, meaning, I always let the engine fully warm up before any big throttle inputs, but my engines see redline a number of times well before 1K miles. I do this without using full throttle, nor WFO standing starts. I slowly increase RPM to red line in each of the first 3 gears, speed limits permitting, and then allow engine braking back down to around 1500 rpm. I do this with 1st gear, then 2nd, then 3rd, and as much as I can with 4th. The idea is to let engine braking/compression to naturally slow the engine down. This helps the rings seat as best as they can.
I also do a few aggressive acceleration runs getting to near red line before the first 500 miles.
I don't do any oil changes until it's time, meaning I don't change the oil after
"break in".
This is the method I've used for my cars and motorcycles and it's served me very well.
Appreciate 0