11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
mcjohnz5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

Problem Solved!!

No more check engine light! Runs Great!

How did I fix it?
1. Set TDC and installed flywheel locking pin
2. Tried to install camshaft alignment and locking tool. Would not fit correctly
as images show above.
3. Double - checked TDC again and installed flywheel locking pin. Same
situation as before.
4. Held camshafts on the flat with a 13/16 wrench and loosened central vanos
bolts.
5. Exhaust camshaft rotated counterclockwise on its own. I then rotated the
intake camshaft counterclockwise.
6. Installed the camshaft alignment tool (2 212 831)
7. Installed vanos central bolts and camshaft position impulse wheels.
8. Installed the camshaft position impulse wheels alignment tool
(2 212 830) and aligned the impulse wheels to the pins.
9. Torqued everything down, put it back together.

Success! No more CEL!

Theory - I screwed it up from beginning when installing the timing chain by setting TDC and rotating the crankshaft to make the camshaft alignment/locking tool fit. Here is what threw me off. I was still able to install the flywheel locking pin all the way into the hole. So, I thought I was at TDC and then I installed the flywheel tooth locking tool. On an higher mileage car that may have jumped timing this can lead you down the wrong path.

The right way to set TDC is to make sure you are at the right position and then insert the locking pin, then double-check that the crankshaft will not rotate. If your car is in time the camshaft alignment/locking tool will go in place. You may have to loosen the bolts on the tool to give you some play, but it should go into place. If that tool does not fit, then your car is not correctly timed. If that tool fits (2 212 831) and pins on tool (2 212 830) does not line up, then your camshafts are in time, but your camshaft position impulse wheels are not in time.
Appreciate 2
sspade2466.00
lvevo75.50