01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
This thread is case and point of RWD, even with snow tires are not as good as AWD in some situations. 50/50 balance will not help you get unstuck in a snow. In my opinion, RWD BMW is no better in the snow than any other RWD sedans. My guess is that even if the OP had AWD with all season in the above situation, he would still have a hard time stopping, but he would not have got stuck on that hill, so bothe RWD with snow and AWD have their advantages and disadvantages, the key to driving in the snow is know what your car can do and what it cannot do. If one plans to take their BMW out on unplow snow regularly, they really should have AWD and snow tires.
I have been drivign FWD cars in snow all my life. Never had AWD except out IS250 which my wife drives. I am OK with all seasons and FWD, always have been, never bought snow tires before. But I hear RWD is another story, understandably...

Personally, I'd prefer to drive a RWD car because 9 months of the year there will be no snow and when tehre is, I know which routes to take and which to avoid...and we get ploughed pretty soon after snowfall around here.

If I was to buy a 335i x-drive I'd be looking at a $53,800 base price...by the time I add options, delivery and 13% tax, might as well get a base M3.
Appreciate 0