apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Got some help on another BMW forum, here's what I learned:

The major things you lose if you skip the cradle are:

1. Quick charging (not really necessary).
2. Roof antenna (unless you live in the sticks not necessary).
3. Apple iPod Out Interface (that's bad but...).

But the one part that took some digging to find out is this little nugget: When you use the Cradle to get the sexy iPod Out user interface you:

1. Lose split screen (ouch).
2. Can't get at your handset for incoming email/text notifications (ouch).

The loss of the split screen is the dealbreaker for me. Like most people, I'll have the map up on the left side and music up on the right and you can't do that with the sexy iPod Out UI. Upon further review, the stock BMW iPod UI isn't bad at all, has album art, has artist/track name, just has less sexy font and background wallpaper. BFD. Also, when navigating to a destination, the map won't be visible via the cradle whereas in split screen from just the cable you'll get the map plus it's "overtake" mode when a critical lane change or turn is necessary (nav takes up the whole screen for that moment, then returns to split screen).

One thing that must be recognized is that when your iPhone is connected it must have a BMW app running which is another issue too because when you need to check a text or an incoming email you go out of the app and instantly lose your music connection be it via iPod or Pandora.

My solution? I'm never going to dock my iPhone to the car, ever. Instead, I'm going to have a permanent connection to a beater iPod Touch running the BMW app so that my music is there all the time. On a really long trip on a weekend when I'm not expecting much email/text communication I'll dock my iPhone via the cable (not the cradle) and get the apps functionality via 3G or LTE.

Hope this helps. In a nutshell, if you're a split screen guy or can't have your iPhone imprisoned inside your armrest, the conversation's over.

BJ
Theres absolutely no difference in charging between using the cradle and using the standard cable.

Also bear in mind the antenna connection uses inductive coupling which is mediocre at best.
Appreciate 0