View Single Post
      08-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #376
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Hey on the bright side... I recreated my driving pattern 4 times on a loaner 328i. In the "go to work" loop, my AH3 ends up getting 28-30mpg, the 328i gets off the highway with a healthy 29mpg most of the time, but as soon as I hit the surface street traffic I lose 5 mpg to average 22-24mpg.

And taking coworkers out to lunch on a dense 5 mile trek that involves blasting the AC, stop lights every block, and 35mph speed limit? 14mpg on 328i, 20mpg ish on AH3.

So if you think your heavy city + A/C fuel economy is bad on your AH3, I have a feeling you really don't wanna know what it is on a non-hybrid! . It also goes to show, different commute / different driving style on the same car can yield a 2x difference, so comparing your fuel economy with someone else's is not very scientific.

P.S. Auto start stop. What a mess. The most I have had it stop was 15 seconds before firing up the engine again, and the cabin heats up pretty fast.

P.P.S. Now with 12000 miles on the car (still original oil), I'm noticing that my fuel economy has went up around 10% across the board. So you might be a bit more pleased with your fuel economy as time goes on.