View Single Post
      02-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I doubt it will be Tesla and I also fear that breaking new ground will backfire un us. In many ways, it already is. Porsche opting for a PDK only GT3 is a perfect example. To me, driving enjoyment is measured in smiles per hour, not necessarily miles per hour. I would gladly trade 0.2 seconds to 60 for the involvement of a true manual transmission.

As enthusiasts, we might want to start wishing for less innovation and less groundbreaking. We like speed but we crave involvement and in the race for quicker acceleration, they're removing the weakest element - the human one, and with that goes our involvement. Classic example of being careful what you wish for.
I know more and more people that are buying older cars, because they are simply more engaging to drive. I have a heavily modded E30, and as much as I love my 5er it doesn't come close to matching it in terms of 'fun factor'. A friend of mine is looking for a replacement car, and would rather have an old Integra GSR than anything new.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't buy a new Ferrari with a manual transmission either.

I still like Tesla a lot. I'm convinced that the ICE is currently in the process of dying a slow death.
Appreciate 0