View Single Post
      04-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

I predict that within 5 years or so, you'll be hard-pressed to buy any BMW in the USA with a manual transmission. The take rate keeps going down as the automatics/DCT's get better and the younger customers can afford to buy/lease BMW's.

It comes down to the requirements our government places on manufacturers for each drivetrain configuration they sell here. BMW reaches a tipping point for each model when the cost of meeting these requirements exceeds the potential profit made from the sales of manual-equipped cars.

It's too bad, as I for one enjoy driving manual-equipped cars. I've never owned a car with an automatic, other than those for my wife/kids. It's also great theft protection, as more and more potential car thieves will pass up a manual car, as they don't know how to drive one.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0