View Single Post
      12-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #69
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Wow... how times have changed. When I bought my first year E46 coupe they came out with an chip, intakes, exhaust, and all the rest of the suspension/chassis bits wayyyyy before year's end.
I know! Tuning these cars now is more challenging in large part because of the encryption for the ECU. At some point in history I believe Dinan had a closer relationship with BMW so they had easier access to the ECU. But now they probably have to fight their way in.

As for some of the rest, it would be challenging for the aftermarket to compete when BMW offers warranty-safe upgrades for nearly the same price. In practical terms why buy a StopTech BBK (just as an example) when you can pay similar money for the BMW Performance parts, have the dealer install them, and still get free brake pads and warranty service from BMW? Same with suspension. And if they offer a power upgrade for the N20 it kind of shuts the tuner market out. Smart product planning on BMW's part IMHO.

What I really hope for are some good camber plates for the front, a brake duct kit, and a LSD.
Appreciate 0