View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Unibody/subframe Damage?

Hey guys, i'm a first time poster but have been a long time follower on this forum. This is a bit of a long story but i suppose it's got to start somewhere..

i picked up my 2013 335xi m-sport this fall (late september) and she's been a joy to drive since! The only issue is i made a real stupid mistake early October when i drove my car through a milled section of the road. The road in question at the time didn't have any construction signs so i wasn't aware. After this i went back to the road and checked out the milled section of the road and there was probably a 4" drop from the milled section to the actual road surface.

As a result of all this, I got a damaged tire (bulge in the sidewall), bent rim, and now supposedly a bent steering knuckle from this damage. All the parts are being repaired/replaced by my BMW dealer, however i'm worried about the impact of the damage to the rest of my car's components.

I hit the milled section of the road at around 80-100km/h (50-62mph for our imperial friends) so i believe it's consistent with the damage to my wheel, tire and suspension, however my real question is; could there be possible unibody/subframe damage to the car as a result of this?

I'm currently having my dealer check all the suspension and chassis components, however i'm super paranoid now that there's more that is damaged and my worst fear is that i ended up damaging the unibody/subframe. Anybody care to weigh in on this with their experiences? I know that this car also has an aluminum/steel body so it should theoretically be less susceptible to these kind of things, is this true?
Appreciate 1