Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Yeah, the entire reason Japanese car sales exploded in America was perceived reliability. American cars broke a lot in the 70s and 80s and it enraged millions of people. Lexus blew up because it promised a super-reliable Buick basically.

For what it's worth the perception I always heard was that German cars won't break down and strand you, but replacing wear items is expensive as hell. Which is fair if you're comparing them to a Ford.
Very good post. Im glad you used the words Perceived reliability these words are key.

Im going to say this from an unbias point of view, because I do work for Ford Motor Co. While Ford has had their share of problems throughout the years, but our quality has drastically improved. Especially when compared to the domestic brands i.e. Chevy, Dodge/Chrysler. We still have small issues with the My touch software related stuff, but most people dont know how to use it and run to the dealer and say it does not work.

Now I get quarterly reports of all autmotive brands on the sales, quality, and projections. Honestly everything is based on perceived reliabilty. And Japanese cars are really known for this. Its not real world stuff most of the time. And everyone is so sold on how a Toyota is so known for being reliable. I see their report for TGW per unit. They are in the ball park of 109 things gone wrong per unit. Ford was around 92. I see this data and just think people dont really care. Toyota has a stamp on peoples perception on how reliable they really are, when in fact they have problems just like evryone else. The more units you push through the door the more things will go wrong.

Im originally from Serbia live in U.S. , and Geraman cars rule there. They prefer VW/Audi products over BMW. When I ask why they say BMW is so unrelable compared to VW/Audi. I laugh

They avoid Japanese cars honestly because the maintanance costs there are as German maintenance costs are to U.S. Very costly. German cars in Serbia are cheaper to maintan obviously. As long as VW exhists this will be the brand they turn to 100% of the time with Golf being the most popular car. Its also retains the highest markup/resale value and its also the most stolen vehicle there.