View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
bimmerdean
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

How could this of happened to my Engine *Pictures*

I own a 2013 BMW 328i x drive which has been wonderful until the start of this summer (summer break). A few weeks back the low oil pressure sensor alert on my car came on which I took it to the mechanic's shop and they said it was most likely a faulty sensor. Fast forward a few weeks the car had no other issues which was great until I got the infamous "Drivetrain Malfunction" alert and the car immediately started having issues. I bring it to Baron BMW and they said that there were metal chunks in the oil filter and is most likely the fault of the timing chain. They quoted me a new engine at 14k which wasn't even an option so I bring it to another friend who owns a mechanic shop and works on BMW performance vehicles. They open up the engine and found Oil Slug everywhere, it was disgusting. They said that most likely this engine cannot be saved and another engine is needed. The mechanic doesn't even know how this oil slug formed since we got routine check up's on the car and new oil and filters every 7-9k miles. I know we should of done it sooner but there's no way that it could of caused engine failure...

The engine is an N26 so the timing chain wasn't really a problem. The mechanic cleaned it and said theirs no way of using this again. What do you guys think caused this issue? And is there any way of reducing the cost of this because it seemed like a faulty engine almost... I'm a college student who worked my ass off to help pay for the vehicle and I'm just devastated about this since the car sells for about 13.5k with a working engine and I have no choice but to get a used one installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0