View Single Post
      12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koer View Post
Interesting! i was always used to leave my tires at a low pressure and set them at a higher pressure on the weekends when i went out for a drive in the twisty mountains.

Now unfortunately the place where i live (Mexico City) has the worst street conditions you could imagine, so its a gamble; put your tires to the correct pressure and you will end up screwing up your steering and suspension due to the vibration and impacts of the low quality pavement. Lower your tire's Psi and you protect your suspension and steering, but certainly my tires are not going to last as long.

It all depends on the place you live. Some people are blessed with butter smooth streets and no potholes. Some are not that lucky.
I understand the need to protect your car from bad roads and impacts.
But, for that very reason you need to RAISE your cold tire pressures.
Running pressures too low, as you are doing, is actually increasing the risk of damaging your wheels, tires, and suspension, because you don't have enough tire pressure to maintain sidewall stiffness.
What you're doing is counter to what you want.
Raise the pressures to the minimum required as posted on the door sill, so that the added air volume will help absorb the energy from those bad roads.
Appreciate 0