View Single Post
      12-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #94
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ignoring what the speed linit may be (anywhere in the world for that matter) , I think its inappropiate speed thats wrong.
I'm sure we all go over the speed limit a little.

I tihnk the main thing to obide to is to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. In residential areas where there are parked cars, you could have people wander out with very little notice and hence that is why speed limits are low, to give you the time to stop.
With motorways and fast roads, if the road can be seen to be clear and you can stop in that distance, then even if thats 100mph, that might be considered to be safe. However if you are on the motorway (in the UK for example) and say 65 mph but right up the backside of the car in front, that might be a legal speed but its dangerous as will not be able to stop in time for any incident that might occur.

Police are trained to exceed the speed limits but only do so where they can see whats up ahead and can stop in that distance if required.

Governments have to set the limit somewhere and presumably have to set it up assuming the lowest level of driver skill .

Its all about reading the road, if you can do that , you should be as safe as possible.My own view is that a few mph over the limit is not necessairly dangerous but you must be able to stop in the distance that you can see clear, if that distance is not great you slow down and assume that the unexpected IS expected.
There is a saying, only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.(leave at minimum a 2 second gap between you and the traffic or obsticles in front - and that assume a dry road)

If you want to see examples of bad driving, just google "car crash compilations" and you find a lot of videos (most seem to be from Russia) where people are not keeping their distance, not performing a mirror / signal / manouvre . Some of those are no doubt obeying speed limits but bad driving is to blame, not doing the basics.
Appreciate 0