View Single Post
      01-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
sthomson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

CPO - unreported collision damage not detected

Hey guys

Looking for some feedback here on possible next moves.

I bought a 2014 335i xDrive from a dealership in Toronto. At the time it was not part of the CPO pool, but it had a clean carproof report. I asked the salesperson to put it through CPO, and I did a walkaround but really... clean carproof, CPO, I wasn't too worried about it.

A few weeks ago I was looking at it in a parking lot and I was like "something is off with those headlights" the driver's side one had more of a gap with the corner of the hood than the passenger side one. So I looked at the pictures from when I bought it and it was like that before the CPO inspection. See attached picture from the advertisement - the corner of the headlight assembly doesn't line up with where it should be at the corner of the bumper, and there's a gap between the top of the headlight and the hood.

I took it to a dealership closer to where I live and asked them to look at it, wondering if they would bring it up to CPO standard under warranty. They reported back that the bumper had been repainted, and they suspected the brackets on the back of the headlight assembly were broken. They didn't want to take it apart for fear of not being able to get it back in place, and suggested that I take it back to the selling dealership for rectification.

The dealership I bought it at was great, I emailed the salesperson and general manager, and the next morning I heard back saying they'd bring it up to CPO standard for me and give me a loaner.

What I'm trying to figure out -- I paid a certain amount for a car with no accidents, and now it's pretty clear that it has been in an accident. I expect that this repair will show up on the carproof report, and the value of the car is significantly degraded. Would you try to get some sort of remedy from the dealer for this loss of value? Would you try to just return the car? How do you put a price on the discount of having a car with an accident history?

Cheers thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0