chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Let's see:
1) E46 window regulators were for s$%^. E9x & F3x don't break every-other-month.
2) Both auto transmissions on the E46 were known weak spots - reverse drum on one and fast idle on the other, etc. The ZF 6hp19 and 8hp don't break.
3) The cooling systems on the M52/M54 broke all the time, and breakage was likely to trash the engine. Doesn't happen on the newer cars because they speed up the fan, go into limp mode, shut down. Still have to replace the silly water pump however.
4) The M54 was a notorious oil consumption engine (usually due to rings or valve guides, or the very notorious CVV problems.) Doesn't happen on N52/N54/N55.
5) Early iDrive was very unfriendly. Modern ones are the best in the business (unless you believe Audi and Mercedes-Benz advertising.)

I can go on, but I'd like to ask you why you believe the E46 has higher quality than E9x and F3x. Remember, *YOUR* experiences are not really relevant; only the averages.
Don't forget the infamous rear subframe mounts that would break. Plastic impellers on the water pumps, plastic radiator necks, those would break requiring replacement of the entire water pump and radiator respectively. a/c was also pretty weak, although mine never broke. Speakers used to buzz, I think some people used to stuff foam and such in them to stop the buzzing. Stupid key memory for seat settings never worked, I just had the dealer disable it. Never could tell the difference between faster and slower settings for the intermittent wipers and always suspected it was a placebo switch. Little sunroof clips would break requiring expense removal and replacement of the sunroof mount. My sunroof shade somehow broke once too, resulting in my SA giving me this sage advice, "Don't use the sunroof shade".

My E46 also was much louder at highway speeds than my F30. As a previous owner of an E36 and E46 I can't say that I agree with all the various "good old days when quality was better" posts I see.
Appreciate 0