12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

First F30 Limp Mode

UPDATE:
"Limp Mode" affects only 335i MSports, 6MT/8AT, X-drive/RWD, & regardless of build date.

Symptoms:
1) Loss of power and car will not rev. past ~3,000 rpm (no fault codes on dash)
2) Radiator electric cooling fan on max (very loud)
3) Engine Oil Temp. approx. 205 degF or lower (while limp mode is occurring, temp. is usually not at normal operating temp of 245 degF)

The problem goes away once car is turned off and back on (it resets). Many users have reported that it seems to happen after a long comfort mode drive on the freeway followed by city driving and switching to sport mode.

Repair attempts:
1) Auxiliary electric Cooling Fan Replacement (mounted to the radiator and fan shroud) - Biggest Culprit (The fan is tested directly and will fail the test but may or may not have a fault code stored in the ECU)
2) Fan relay Replacement
3) Thermostat Replacement
4) DME Replacement with software update

As far as we can tell, there is no SIB yet but plenty of PUMA cases have been filed. Some users have also reported that the MPPK will not solve the issue. A few people have had their cars bought back and replaced by BMW.

Most importantly, there have now been 50+ members of F30Post who have reported the exact same problem on this thread.

Photo from a member while on full throttle in limp mode:
Name:  Flooring It.jpg
Views: 33473
Size:  49.6 KB

Photo from a member showing the repair invoice:
Name:  Error Invoice.jpg
Views: 33252
Size:  715.7 KB

Original Post:
I don't believe I've seen anyone else on this forum enter into limp mode with their F30 yet. I believe I have for the first time.

I spent the day driving around LA on and off the freeway. The engine was strong all day and I always waited for the oil temp to reach a comfortable level before revving.

About 1 stop sign away from my house (coming back home after a long day) my car won't rev. past 2.5k rpm. I notice a loud fan noise. I do not get any error messages on screen though. I restarted the car as soon as I got home but the fan noise went away and the car was back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this yet?

Is this limp mode? Should I bring it in?

Last edited by DarkTrigger; 07-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Update per new information from member posts.
Appreciate 0