ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
It's too bland. The golf 420 looked more imposing but obviously they killed that around the emissions scandal breaking.

A flash tuned golf r is an impressive beast, although stock is extremely underwhelming and it obviously requires a massive launch to hit an 11 second 1/4

I was going to buy one, but at the time VW was charging way over msrp on the car and being dicks about modding it. Things have changed since then lol

The RS3 is objectively better than the 2017 CLA45 and GLA45 I test drove, cant speak to the new one
I personally cannot overlook the Golf R's appearance. It looks even more tame than the GTI to me and that is wrong on so many levels.

I also do not do tunes so that isn't a consideration for me when I look at cars. I look at Stock HP/Torque and that is all I really care for.

I only briefly considered a Golf R but I found out the Rs are being priced above MSRP a lot and that was a turn off. I can probably look around enough to get it at a better price but I much rather look at a CLA45 or RS3 at that point even though those two cars costs much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have driven the 45 AMG with 380 hp...

What I like-

Fwd based awd system works very well...

What I dislike-

4 banger engine that sounds awful and complete lack of torque.

The engine honestly ruins the car... if this came w a 6 turbo it would be great.
Car companies are slimming down their engines mainly for the increasingly strict emissions problems. I don't believe MB would have put a V6 or Inline 6 in this car regardless.

However as with almost all Inline 4s, it will always sound somewhat the same engine wise. I'm sort of amazed quite a few mainstream car reviewers tend to mix up Engine Sound and Exhaust Note. The CLA45 exhaust sounds good as soon as you put it in Sport/Sport+/Race. It sounds tame on Efficient. However like I mentioned the engine is still a typical Inline 4 engine and it does not have a good acoustic noise to it. No car company will be able to make a Inline 4 acoustic noise sound nice, not even AMG.

Exhaust Note and Engine Noise are two different things. This is something people miss when they talk "how a car sounds."
To be clear... the Engine has a typical noise and the exhaust nose is even more fake sounding than the M3... the pops and cracks it makes are almost bluntly overdone and artificial.