View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
ks200906
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What would a blind test prove? That they are different? Then they are, without even testing, just the nature of passive fixed valve damping vs. an active system using the 'sky hook' principle. The whole concept of an active system is to widen the working envelope, less design compromises than a passive system. It it is not more refined while doing the same job, it has failed in its objective.

Suspension is subjective anyway, so drivers who prefer a fixed/totally predictable passive system may well feel adaptive is not their ideal suspension. IMO, there is no right or wrong, better or worse, simply different and how a user evaluates each system.

The OP has been a long term user of VDC in his Golf GTi, so will clearly be familiar with the subtleties of VDC, particularly on poor road surfaces, where active suspension systems clearly outshine a passive system in finer aspects of car control.

HighlandPete
I agreed with your point about that it's pretty subjective and each driver will have a preference. How technology works is very factual and rocket science. The double-blind test is not to prove that there is a difference between VDC and passive, it's more for the actual "feedback" by the driver or passenger without prior knowledge of "which is which". I bet not 100% of all drivers (not to mention passengers) can tell the differences if you don't tell them.

Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00