View Single Post
      01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #81
ewill858
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I didn't realize how well executed this was until after I ordered. I've spent some time looking into the details to see if I can "somewhat" easily retrofit it in my '13 335i.

On cars with lane departure, HBA is achieved with the KAFAS camera and KAFAS controller. For non-lane departure cars, with 5AC HBA as a standalone option, there's a unique rear view mirror which houses BOTH the FLA camera AND FLA controller.

My thinking is that it may be as simple as a mirror swap and some coding to enable this. The fact that it's such a cheap standalone option seems to support this theory. Has anyone else looked into this or run across any switches while coding their car? I should probably start a new thread...
I too am wondering now whether I might be able to retrofit the HBA to my '13 335i. It looks like you're knowledgeable in regards to the necessary hardware. I've seen similar comments describing a simplified version of the KAFAS camera for implementing HBA standalone, but didn't know it might be a self-contained mirror/camera unit.

If you (or others) have learned any additional information about this retrofit, please share! (and perhaps start a new thread. )

Thanks!
Appreciate 0