View Single Post
      04-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #60
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It's a misconception as to how much something weighs to how it drives (within reason). It is solely how the design team/developers want the car to behave is what you are feeling, with a true sportscar like the Elise feel very darty because they are appealing to a more select group of individuals and the more popular the car will be (i.e. the more diverse the group of drivers) the more safe and duller the steering inputs will be.

The best example I can think of is an F1 car, they weigh in at about 650kgs but what downforce this more than doubles when traveling above 120mph, so which does it feel like is it a 650kgs car or a 1300kgs car?

I am not saying that the X5/6M won't feel very heavy compared to a normal car because they will but when you are talking about normal cars I don't think the weight issue really comes into it as much as some people believe.
Let me start off by saying M3 is a great car and each driver has his/her preference. I like the F1 analogy and I am sure we can agree F1 is the pinnacle of automobile research and development. Down force is required at highspeed for stability and light weight is preferred for agility at cornering. My point is if a car starts off at 1600-2000kg there's no way to make it lighter unless wings is added for lift, which won't kick in until high speed and creates big problem. Therefore, it is always better to start off with a light weight vehicle if the preference is performance.
Appreciate 0