05-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #386
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-SG View Post
Did you guys have to manually adjust your lights or did they auto level?
Dealer adjusted mine and is part of the installation instructions.

Shivas - i'm surprised you had to pay extra for alignment. I guess now I know why I'm stuck paying $180/hr.

Instructions indicate 6.5 hrs to install suspension and directs tech to perform the following post install:

- On cars with active steering (AFS) the steering angle sensors must be aligned using the BMW diagnostic
system via the service function (SBT)
- Carry out chassis measurement and adjust so it is identical to the Sports chassis settings data in SA 226/704
- Adjust the headlights (ISTA No. 6 310 004)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Actually, no.
You will get the remainder of your new car warranty with those parts - so if you have 3 years and 10 months left of the 4 year, SINCE you are dealer installing it, you'll receive that. Works out nicely!
Shivas is 100% correct here. This is something I researched and finally convinced me to stick with OEM and dealer install. M Parts and labor carry full vehicle warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
(now if those parts where INCORRECTLY INSTALLED, thats an entirely different story)

SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG HERE
I believe this last part is what ultimately makes the case for paying dealer to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
for people thinking the dealer should install the performance suspension in order to retain warranty, you guys must not know how dealers work.

They will never replace your shocks, or any suspension component for that matter since they will say that you caused the damage. Shocks/ springs don't just "fail" they only fail if they are exposed to some sort of heavy force ie. a pothole, and BMW would never cover damage due to a pothole.

I once hit a bad pothole and my control arms bent, that sure as hell is not under warranty, same goes for if your shock is bent, bmw would not fix it.

Plus, when BMW repairs suspension they replace almost everything, thats their protocol. I remember when i had my bent control arm, the dealer quoted to replace sway bars, control arms on both sides, the knuckle, etc. When it comes to a warranty claim for an amount that high, it will NEVER fly. Maybe, just maybe if BMW's protocol wasn't to replace so many other suspension parts if one part was damaged, then maybe i could see them warrantying the part.
Agree that warranty is not the same as incidental damage protection. That is what insurance is for, but I would never open a claim for damage to suspension parts or even wheels. Not worth the premium increase.

I believe the point is more along the lines of something else going wrong with the way it was installed or something else being negatively affected on the vehicle due to lack of knowledge or simple negligence.

The way I see it, if I paid BMW $50K for the car AND also piled on more $$ in parts/labor, I'm in a better position to have it rectified should something go wrong. I believe Shivas has proven this to all of us after going through his springs fiasco.
Appreciate 0