08-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #179
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
It's probably 5whp.... I got the hfc for the reduced smell, reduced black soot, and the code. Since I ended up getting stage2, the code isn't an issue. I don't care what anyone says, even with the hfc, you still get some of the smell and I cAn start to see the black soot on my white bumper a day or two after washing.

My thought process is that if I'm gonna do it, might as well go all the way with catless. I'd expect the smell and soot to increase marginally but it's not that big of a deal. It's only noticeable when your parked idling or at startup. I don't think there will be a difference in bmws mind if there's a warranty issue.
I agree with you on the warranty issue. Although, either way I can't see them worrying about it unless there is some exhaust issue. I don't really see much that a freer flowing exhaust could be linked to. Some have actually said it may increase the life of the turbo.

I'm on the fence, if there is no real difference (both will probably fail emissions) and the code is auto clearable by a tune (which I already have) then why not go catless. My concern was like you mainly the smell. I haven't really thought of the soot build up and haven't really heard that as an issue. I know our cars will build up soot in stock form. Having black tail pipes helps, but I know it's there as I clean them when I clean my car and there is always some build up, but I've never seen it on my bumper (red car though).

Wish I could find someone with catless just to see if the smell is tolerable and perhaps compare to catted, but not a big BMW performance market around where I live, mostly american unfortunately.
Appreciate 0