07-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The Question:

Just to the right of the Auto button/wheel/knob is a small black dot thing. This same black dot thing exists on mine and my daughter's E9X cars. Now, I've thought (since 2007) it was just a decoration since it was placed symmetrically on the control panel in the middle of the car. But now that I see it on the F30 also, and it's clearly not placed in any artful spot, I'm wondering what it is. Does anyone know?

The Observations:

Driving
I took my kid's 328 wagon in to the BMW store today because the fuel needle seems to not work and they gave me an F30 loaner. (base model, CWP and PP) I then drove the loaner to visit my father, a 94 year old who has an e92 (loaded to the gills with everything but M Sport).

The very first thing he said was: boy, you turn the wheel and nothing happens. The next thing he said was: they're making like that old Buick you learned to drive on now aren't they? I guess I'm the only old thing that's not new again. We both laughed.

I'll grant you that Dad isn't your typical old coot. He will, once or twice a year, make he go with him to the track so he can drive in a spirited manner, or what he calls, "run me some 'shine." (That's the closest he's come to discussing that topic, so I have nothing more to say on it.) Even so, it is telling that a nonagenarian noticed the numb steering before even pulling out of the driveway.

That said, I don't like the steering, but I could endure it. But it's not exactly confidence inspiring when you are rapidly moving around an exit ramp. For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the F32 doesn't have the same lame steering.

Luxury and Space
Dad and I agree: this car is no more luxurious than the E9X. Indeed, we both observed that on the dashboard and center console, there's less wood and more plastic/rubber in the F30 than there is in the E90.

It's just new and different, and I think that's why folks think it more luxurious. I know when I first test drove one some months back, my first thought was it might be a tad more luxurious. But now, after driving around in one for a few hours, I know I was wrong; it's not. I was just under the influence of the newness and the difference.

I can accept folks liking the new interior design (de gustibus non disputandum est), but more luxurious? I don't think so. But perhaps it is more luxurious if:
  • one thinks more space in the back equals more luxury, but then that would make an Impala more luxurious as well. And I suspect nobody here thinks an Impala a luxury car or that it's more luxurious than a 3er.
  • one outfitted their F30 with more stuff than one had on one's E90, but then that would be a matter of choice not something inherent to the car itself.
Even so, more luxurious or not, it's "cush factor" is nice enough to suit my needs.

The rear is a good deal roomier than the E90. I think I'd say the 3er is now a full on mid-size car.

Fuel Gauge
The fuel gauge no longer has little hash marks indicating each gallon's worth of fuel in the tank. Some of you may recall that the E9X has a 16 gallon gas tank and that there are exactly 16 little hash lines evenly spaced on the fuel gauge. It's hardly a big deal, but I will admit that I used those little marks to know how much fuel to put back into the service loaners. Also, I used to use those marks to judge how much fuel I had just burnt during a period of "joyful" driving. (The missing marks are not a big deal; I'm just saying I did have practical uses for them.)

Do any of you know if the little hash marks are present on the Sport Line or on a 335? (I did look on the BMW configurator, but it's hard to tell for sure.)

Ergonomics
When I drive casually, I tend to hold my leg in a position like when I'm seated in a regular chair (knee bent more or less at 90 degrees) and my foot planted flat on the floor just in front of the seat. When I sit this way, my knee rests against the car door. After a short time -- 15 minutes perhaps -- this becomes painful as the placement of the door pull is situated to make it so. Now whereas I could get over the numb steering, and the lack of fuel gauge hash marks, if I can't find a suitable, everyday seating position, I would under no circumstances buy and F30.
The coupe may be different, but there is no reason to think so.
Maybe they will keep it more "sporty" and leave it with hydraulic steering.
That would be cool.

Honestly this whole light steering thing is getting old.
Look, all you need to do it put the silly beyond silly drive mode in "sport".
Then, the effort gets heavier and it's nearly as heavy as previous models.
It's not as heavy, but pretty close.

Saying it's like a Buick clearly shows you were not in sport mode.
Since it's so easy to correct, why bother with the complaint as if there is no way out of it.

I don't understand your worry about confidence in turns with this steering.
Everyone who has tested this steering comments on the lightness in non sport mode. Yet, everyone also loves how direct and accurate the steering is. Even if the effort is light, and electric assist dampens some feel, the steering is still accurate, meaning, as long as you're maintaining control of the wheel the car will go where you point it.

I've never had a car with an accurate fuel gauge.
I only use it to see when it's almost empty to let me know it's time to fill up.

The seat comfort issue is very important. You need to be comfortable.
The non sport seats suck, that's all.
I too like to put my left leg like you describe from time to time.
I find that I have to get used to every new car I get as they are built for the general public.
The new sport seats are very comfortable and for me, a MUST have.
Appreciate 0