11-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
There is no mentioning of a drive by test. They just say that the Golf was 70db and the BMW 67db (on RFT). I agree that comparing tires on two different cars isn't a valid test. But I have no idea of what you are getting at with the "drive by" remarks.

All the tests here are in cabin. And they only claim that RTF tires isn't as noisy as people believe since the BMW is so much quieter even on RFT.
So how does a non valid test have any relevance to how quiet or noisy a RFT is in cabin?

All european tyres by law have to have noise ratings listed, and tyres above a certain level are banned. These are drive-by tests and RFT score no higher in these, however, as the connection between tread block and alloy wheel is significantly stiffer on a RFT (I'm using self supporting RFT as that is what BMW use), there is no scientific reason for them to transmit less noise.

RFT bump and thump more than a regular tyre for exactly the same reason, and low profile regular tyres are noiser than high profile again for exactly the same reason, you can't beat the laws of physics.

It is also why they are trying to develop 'auxillary supported' RFT technology as that will enable normal low stiffness sidewalls, giving a quieter/softer ride.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00