View Single Post
      10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
How soon did you people get these symptoms?

I got my F31 last week and I have msport adaptive chassis without VSS and I have no hissing I can hear, no clunk and no vibrations. I got the original 18 inch wheels.
The 'clunk' in the steering when the engine is OFF, was there from day one.
I'm not at around 1800 miles and I do get an occasional 'clunk' when turning left or right, typically on 90 degree turns.
It's a light clunk but I can hear and feel it in the steering wheel.

The light "hiss" has also been there from when new, but it's not that loud nor does it happen over every bump, very occasional and frankly not a big deal. I just wanted the shop to note it.

No steering wheel vibrations while driving as some other owners have reported. The only time I have some steering wheel vibe is when the tires are cold, and it takes about 3-5 miles for the tires to warm up and all is normal no vibes. I've had this in other cars and it varies with different tire manufacturers. The tire gets like a "flat spot" after sitting for a while, but smooths out after it warms, it's normal, no big thing.
What others have reported is a steering wheel vibration typically starting between 45-65mpg and it's there even after a full warm up.
Some have a heavier vibe than others, and some have an oscillation vibe that comes and goes while driving.
Seems this type of vibration is there from new.

I too have OEM Msport 18's with Bridgestone S001 RFT's. Nice gripping tire, and it runs quiet. In the rain the grip is ok, not great.
I had a set of Conti DWS tires on my 135i and those AS tires had much better grip in the rain and wet pavement. There are non fun flats, and have a better over all ride as they are more compliant over bigger bumps.
RFT's have a decent ride quality but on big bumps and sharper bumps the chassis feels as if it's 'crashing' into them, quite harsh.
I'll be swapping out the OEM RFT's within a few weeks for a set of AS non RFT, likely the new Bridgestone RE970 AS.
Appreciate 0