United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad
Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
I've been thinking of going with the deeper concave ARC-8 version with 235/40/18 tires but in that thread people were going with 255's. What are the pros/cons of these size choices?
the factory F-series wheels/tires have a 26"-ish diameter. 235/40/18 will create a larger wheel gap and cause your speedometer to read higher than actual and odometer to accrue more mileage than actual by a small percent. 235/45/18 would be a better choice. although it is of greater diameter than oem spec it will fill the stock wheel gap a little better and cause the speedo to read right on (bmw speedos tend to read 4% higher than actual)

anytime you change from factory spec it will change the performance. typically, larger changes are more noticeable.

diameter affects final gearing which affects speedometer and odometer. overall height and wheel gap also change.

obviously there will be more grip as go wider but it increases friction drag. tire weight also increases and both could affect fuel economy and acceleration.

personally, my choices are made with all these variables and more in mind. most people don't know or care and just go for aesthetics.

245/40 and 255/40 are sizes which fit that balanced area.

they are also running square which reduces the understeer that is inherent with staggered set ups and is another discussion in itself.
So would I be better off with the 235/45 or 255/40's? Preferably I'd like to stick with 18"x8" wheels but APEX doesn't sell that size.