Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
Think I may have found something that hasn't been stated yet and I don't recall seeing it in the manual. (Although I admit right away that I am too lazy to check manual first)

I think this feature is in our cars because of the optional traffic-sensing cruise control. I only have the regular cruise control, but the ability to apply brakes via cruise system seems to be in all cars with cruise control. I only noticed fairly recently that the slow-down button on the steering wheel has two stages. Push lightly and you get the normal coast-down until you let go. Hit the button hard and both the alternator goes into heavy charge mode and the brakes themselves get applied. You can slow down pretty fast this way. I assume the brake lights get applied as well when you use this. Anyone who knows more than me care to elaborate? Or, perhaps tell me that everyone knows about this and I'm stupid for missing all the comments about this all the time?
This is called dynamic cruise control and AFAIK is the 'standard' cruise in all BMW's now;

"Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed. The driver can change this in increments of 1 or 10 km/h. Acceleration and deceleration in two dynamic settings can be controlled by manipulating the lever on the steering column or the paddle on the steering wheel (Comfort Dynamic system)."
Appreciate 3