11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #248
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
I'm coming from an E46 330, a car I drove the wheels off for eight years. The new car moves almost effortlessly by comparison, steers sharply, and still has great throttle and braking response. It's like a gazelle - it doesn't need to be wrestled everywhere. It just goes where I want it to go, and does so without protest. It also doesn't feel like my teeth are going to shatter, and I don't have to grapple with it to get it to do what I want. It's more like a psychic gazelle. In a dinner jacket.

I guess you could call that "less sporting", but frankly, how far do you want to go? We could put ignition advance back on the steering column and have crank starters - that's more like enthusiast cars of the past! In fact, what's all this nonsense about an enclosed cockpit? Needless weight for sissies.

You want more "sport" just for the sake of sport? Put a blindfold on and juggle while driving.

okay, I'm done with reductio ad absurdum.

The new car just filters some of the driving "nonsense" from the E46 era - unnecessary noise that really had nothing to do with "sport" other than it was needlessly rough.

I think some people's view of "sporting" equates to "a harsher ride and more difficult to drive". This car outdoes the E46 and the E90 at almost everything, while softening some of the "feel". Like every F30 owner, I could have just as easily bought a new E92 if I thought it was better. Or I could have kept my E46. It was no contest. The F30 is better in so many ways.

It's as quick and nimble as ever, it just does what it does with less fuss. The E46 was a temper-tantrum in comparison.
You must have had great dental insurance if you tortured yourself for all those years in the E46... I drove a ZHP for almost 5 years and it was just pure driving pleasure. Stupid me went after the power and torque of the N54, when I should have just kept the E46. Anyway, in absolutely no way do I consider the F30 the successor to that car.

I'm glad you like your car, but as a counterpoint of someone who walked into the dealership check in hand and left without a car, some of us really do hate the way the new car drives, it's that simple.

Enjoy your new, less stressed driving experience.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0