View Single Post
      11-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Have a 330D SE saloon on test this week - in daylight, I find the dash top reflects a bit in the windscreen which is annoying. The mirror indicator is also a bit annoying - but worse is the reflection of the headlight switch in the driver's door mirror at night

The engine is very good - though I am not sure I would use the power more than occasionally. On a bumpy and slightly damp / cold country lane, the traction control light is a bit busy and the car feels a teeny bit wayward. I think I may wait to see if xdrive is going to be available on the 330d

My biggest issue, though, is with the 18" wheels fitted (optionally) to this car - more particularly, the noise generated, which is enough for me to decide I could not live with that (so that's the m sport straight off the list of possibles). I will be trying to get a drive in a 17" wheeled E90, and also a 16" wheeled ED to see if that solves the problem - on m-way drive yesterday I turned up the (standard) stereo to compensate and just got out of the car with ringing ears, which won't do.

I am the first to admit that I have a bit of a thing about road noise - rejected a 2005 X5 with 19" wheels on that basis (I had an E39 530D saloon at the time with I think 17" wheels), also in 2001 a Lexus IS200. My potential problem is that I think the E9x is the perfect size for me, so I really don't want to go any larger, but will not tolerate a lot of road noise.

For balance, I gave a quick ride to a couple of colleagues yesterday who wanted to see what it was like - and they both felt the tyre noise was OK and not at all excessive (one has a Merc CLS AMG and the other an A6 S-line)
Appreciate 0