03-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
erko1905
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkbrit View Post
Hi,
felt compelled to share in case someone else is interested. After 800 miles on the brand new Conti Runflats that my CPO 328 came with last month I bit the bullet and took them off because they are just THAT crap to drive on. The Tire guy warned me of dire consequences to the handling ('because the car is designed only for runflats...yeah bollocks), and made me sign a release of course....anyhow; I put Michelin AS3 all season Z rated tires on it with the Z rating being the stiffer sidewall setting of the two versions of this tire available....nothing else has been changed on the car yet and pressure is 35psi all round.

1. annoying tire roar....gone
2. floaty handling esp. on rough NY roads....gone
3. Steering feel improved significantly and softness of suspension is no worse with these go flats.
4. 55-65mph rumble....gone
5. cornering is predicatable and precise
6. car does not hop off line with corner bumps

ALMOST feels like a BMW at last.....next up is either B6 Bilsteins, (X Drive car)...OR Dinans/B8s......I do not want a track car and New York has roads that are worse than in Africa so lowering is risky....but it's still too soft for my taste.
I couldn't agree more, I got some HRE 19s last week and took the opportunity to switch from the default Conti RFTs to Yoko Advans, and it's an insane difference. I hadn't fully realized how much of that ambient noise was actually tire noise, the car is so silent after the switch. Super supple ride, phenomenal handling compared to before. I'm running 19s w 40-35 profile and Dinan springs, and honestly the ride feels softer/smoother/more comfortable to me than stock setup w RFTs.
Appreciate 0