View Single Post
      11-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've been around engines for enough years to not just think about the short term. Immediate power outputs and mpg are not the only factors.

I know many will be trading their cars well before any fuel related issues come about. But for many users, fuel choice, coupled with their car use, does have a high mileage cost.

There have been a few articles on DPF issues in the motoring press of recent months, as DPF faults and failures are the biggest worry (and reality) to many diesel users of medium to high mileage cars. One thing that does get mentioned and listed as a prime consideration, is using "good quality fuel" and the use of additives, which enhance the combustion quality on a day to day basis.

Food for thought, but many new car users won't have that issue, we can just pass that problem on to someone else down the line. But just because we don't see a penalty to fuel choice, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

If we intend to run the car into high mileage, it could be cost effective (long term) to use a premium fuel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0