View Single Post
      05-28-2014, 02:32 AM   #20
smv
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK335iMSport View Post
I absolutely hear what you're saying, my last vehicle was a MK6 GTI with some performance goodies (APR etc.). That car was a blast to drive, a complete "go kart" if you will, but I mean that in the most complimentary way. The car is just so well built, and honestly one of the best "bang for your buck" automobiles made. I actually contemplated waiting for the MK7 Golf R, but in the end decided to give BMW a shot for something different. I've said it many times before, anyone who is a true driving enthusiast should own or at least spend some time driving one (GTI) at some point in their life.

With that being said, I'm glad I did choose the 335i. It's true, they are two totally different cars, and both have their strengths, it's just a matter of what you're looking for. The GTI was "well-planted," even with the stock suspension, more so than my M-Sport when it was stock. However, now that I have suspension mods, the F30 rails around the corners and is totally planted (increasing the fun factor). Also, the F30 is deceptively fast compared to my GTI, the GTI (FWD) pulled hard, and you felt it, the F30 (RWD), pushes you hard and you don't feel it quite as much, although the speedo let's you know you are moving! I also believe the F30 brings a certain level of refinement that the GTI does not, both materially and utility wise.

Either way, both great cars, anyone is lucky to have either as a vehicle. Great German automotive engineering...

I came from the same angle. I was considering the MK7 GTI instead of the F30. I was disappointed by its handling wrt the MK6. It was more floatty and bouncy, all specs equal.. I went with the F30 and did not regret (this is not the essence of my original post btw..) I believe what happened to the MK7 was exactly what happened to the F30 when transitioning from the E90. Both BMW and VW transformed 2 very good cars in a more luxurious / plushy way.. Perhaps in an effort to maintain their customer base as it grows older and is stuck to the brand/model? ( my case at least..). I know it is not fair to compare apples to oranges, yet going down to the bones: If "drivability" and pleasure comes at 20K less, I wonder what comes to their minds in changing what works so well. Or, as I asked earlier, do I have to spend 5-10K extra to maintain that same feeling? Has the actual price of "driving" pleasure gone so high wrt to what we used to enjoy as everyday drivers be it MK6 or E90? .. just thoughts!
Appreciate 0