View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #122
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
You're an F30 owner so I apologize if my tone offended you as you weren't the target.

The old saying "adapt or die" applies here. The most loyal 3 Series owners, those who had an E46 and renewed their leases time and time again through the E9X and now the F30 are the target audience. And that 29 year old newlywed back in 1998 is now 45 with a big job and a couple of kids and he simply doesn't care about "spirited" driving anymore. He wants more space and creature comforts.

BMW is merely catering to their most loyal owners by aging the 3 Series as gracefully as their drivers. We're bigger, wider, softer, love tech, demand convenience, want to be pampered. This is where the F30 delivers.

For those who pine away for the light/agile days of the older 3 Series, sorry, those days are over. But there are tons of E36's out there and you're not 29 anymore and you have the coin- go get that M3 of your dreams and stop whining.

BJ
Clearly I don't agree with your myopic view of BMW drivers.

Luckily, BMW makes a "luxury" version for you and your desire for a softer 3 series with convenience and pampering.

I don't need to pine for an older 3 series.
I loved my E46 325i. Greatly enjoy the power and smallness of my 135i.
And, I decided on the 335i Msport after seeing the picts, reading the technical info, and taking multiple test drives.

Your luxury 3 does not drive like a sport line or Msport.
So your view about the 3's softness is one way to option a new 3.
It's not the only one, and it's not the line most favored on this site/forum.

I also don't agree with some enthusiasts who keep bashing the F30, just a I don't agree with your bashing of driving/performance enthusiasts.
The F30 is not as soft as they keep claiming.

The 3 series became the sport sedan icon it is NOW due to and because of it's driving dynamics, not it's luxury options.
You owe driving/performance enthusiasts a "thank you" for supporting BMW all these years, which allowed BMW to be as successful as they are, so that they could invest in creating a plusher, softer, larger, and creature feature options laden F30.

You're as sided as the person you are arguing with and countering.
He's misrepresenting the F30 automobile, just as you're misrepresenting BMW owners.

No, I am no longer 29. Yet, even at 46 I can still appreciate a fun to drive automobile.
If the F30 were only available in luxury or modern, there is no way I would have bought one. I would have stuck with my 135i or gone with the S4.
Luckily, we driving enthusiasts can still get a sport or Msport.
Appreciate 0