View Single Post
      06-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

BimmerTech - Amp Upgrade - HiFi Only (F3x / F8x)

I dreamed of owning a 4-door M3 when I first laid eyes on the E90 M3 in 2009. I couldn't stop thinking of owning a 4-door M3. I went through 8 BMWs in the past 6yrs just to realize I should've bought an M3 to begin with.

8 months ago, I took my E70 X5 in for routine service when I spotted a mineral grey metallic F80. I was in love with the 4-door M3 again. I was hooked after the 10min test drive, bought the car, and drove it home. The car is gorgeous, it drives so nice, and there's nothing I didn't like about it.... Until a few days later, I popped a CD in and boy... what a disappointment. It turned out I bought the car with the Hi-Fi system, a fancy word for basic. I couldn't stand listening to the system, so it remained off most of the time.

I upgraded the speakers to BavSound Stage 1 shortly after. I was much happier with the sound system, it's more in line with the HK system in the E90. However, it was still a bit weak. I find myself being at the 75-80% volume level. Although it's very clean and no distortion, I needed more power to push those wonderful BavSound speakers. All evidence points to a weak factory amp.

I installed the BimerTech Premium Audio System today, it's essentially a heavily modified Audiotec Fischer Match PP 82DSP amp with custom bracket and cables. This amp is about 4 times more powerful than the Hi-Fi system. The installation took me about 45min, it's pretty much plug and play - almost. This is the first amp kit designed for BMW (no splicing, drilling, or cutting).

Impression: After the install, I downloaded the Audiotec Fischer PSP PC - Tool v3.11. Nelson from BimmerTech sent me the files to load for a setup with BavSound speakers. The sound is loud, I had to turn the volume all the way. I coded ASD off and turned all the door gong down to the lowest level.

This system is exactly what I'm looking for. Loud, clear, and highly customizable. The Hi-Fi system doesn't allow any EQ setting, the software provided by Audiotec Fischer is very intuitive and powerful - allowing 30 band EQ setting, crossovers, time alignment, and output level adjustment (yes, the HK guys will drool on this setup). I used to keep the volume at 75-80%, now even 50% is loud enough to shake the car.

I played a few songs to test to sound. Keep in mind I'm not an audiophile, but I enjoy music and have a very keen ear for sound. I enjoy everything from country to hip-hop. Like them all.

Hotel California by the Eagles - Clear guitars, great vocal, and smoother than before.
This Girl is on Fire by Alecia Keys - This is the best drum song in modern day. Big bass, tight snares, and beautiful vocal. I can better distinguish the instruments and the bass is much nicer.
Butterfly by Bassnectar - Great song to test out the highs and the system delivers. Smooth highs and nice vocal.

I'm now 100% happy with my system. I highly recommend the Hi-Fi owners to look into this, even with OEM speakers. After dropping money on BavSound S1 and BimmerTech, I'm good with sound system. Anymore and I'll have to trade it when they offer B&O for the F8x.

For those who's looking to buy an F8x or F3x, check the damn HK order box then get BavSound S1 with your HK system to call it done. Don't buy a nice car with Hi-Fi (basic sound).

DYI

Tools: Ratchet, 8mm socket, 10mm sock, T-40, large flat head screw driver, and trim/clip remove tool (I used the one supplied by BavSound)

Step 1: Remove those 4 panels in order as numbered. 1) pull out 2) 1 clip 3) 4 clips 4) pull out
Step 2: Remove quarter panel cover. 4 clips and T40 bolt (bolt is covered by a small plastic trim piece of the anchor)
Step 3: Remove the amp retainer. 1-10mm nut
Step 4: Remove the amp bracket. 1-10mm nut and slide the bracket towards the front of the car
Step 5: Remove amp. 1-8mm bolt and wedge it out with a flathead (as shown)

Install everything back in reverse. Secure loose cables with 1 zip tie. Plug the 14-ft USB in first, it's not easy to access once the amp retainer is installed.

Download Software v2.93: http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/cms/l...p-pc-tool.html

Ask Nelson for the appropriate sound file (upgrade speakers or OEM speakers)

Big thanks to Nelson@BimmerTech for introducing me to this amp. This upgrade was well worth it and I will stand behind this recommendation to all Hi-Fi sound owners.
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-24-2015 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 7