View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #65
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

I think I made up my mind. I'm cancelling my order and changing it to November. Seems as though "official" MY changes take place in November in Europe (hence why BMW is actually releasing it then and not now).

Here's how I rationalize it. Technology is changing at such a fast pace now, yes, however the last tech change to iDrive was in 2008. I plan on keeping my car for 4-5 years, which would mean that by its last year, my iDrive system would be close to 10 years old. A LOT will have changed in that time frame from a tech perspective.

Also, given that Apple has been working w/ BMW integration (via Siri) and new inclusions via OS6, you can rest assured that all significant capability integration and third party support will require the NEW idrive system (there's very little reason to implement new technology into old systems, as there's no incremental revenue incentive to do so. However, you can be sure there will continue to be new releases and advancements to the new iDrive system over the next few years to keep the tech "fresh".

I can't rationalize not waiting 4 months to get a car that will be better suited for technological support for years to come vs. buying a car that is essentially obselete from a tech perspective. Yes, iDrive is pretty snazzy as it is, but we don't know what's coming, and I know that the next "cool" integration that comes down the pipe will require the new platform (take "Nuance" for example).

I say to each their own. I'm buying this car for the performace, but I also like my tech. For that reason - I'm waiting.