03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #61
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
If you read the BMW bulletin carefully...it says first.... if you need to top off the oil....and BMW oil is not available...the listed (non-BMW) oils will suffice....the EURO FORMULA MOBIL 1 IS NOT ON THE LIST. The US version is.

Later, the bulletin becomes a bit confusing....as it says the 4 non-BMW oils are acceptable. Does that mean...Acceptable for your oil change...or just topping off?

There is a difference between the US and European oils. Those differences address the differences in sulfur content between the European fuel and the US/Canadian fuel. (BMW US OIL SPEC IS LL-01....EUROPEAN SPEC IS LL-04).

My question....why not buy the BMW oil for $1 more per quart than Mobil 1. What is $5 savings...on a $40-$50k car??
By default, the Mobil-1 0W-40 in the US is called the "European Car Formula". It's not the same as Pennzoil making two versions of Platinum; one being the "regular" formula and the other being the "Euro" formula.

The bottle clearly states that the 0W-40 is BMW LL-01 approved.

Feel free to peruse the data sheet Mobil.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_0W-40.aspx

As for why I didn't get the BMW branded oil for my between interval oil change, it's two things:

1.) Availability. I can walk into literally any Wal-Mart in PHX and buy the stuff rather than have to make a special trip to the dealer to pick it up.

2.) Principle. I don't want to have to pay a $1-2 premium for re-branded Castrol

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0