View Single Post
      01-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #321
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuickEnough
Really interesting read. Currently deciding between a 2014 335i xdrive m-sport or a 2014 S4 sport diff.

Currently leaning more towards S4 after owning 4 BMWs in a row mainly because I want the AWD for my next car and looks like Audi does a better job of a performance AWD.. has this changed since the F30 LCI with the 340i? Does BMW offer sportier xDrive now?
I had a 2010 S4 and in my opinion the S4 has a better engine than the 335i. The 340 with the b58 engine is close because it eliminates a lot of the turbo lag and as a bonus accelerates to redline.
The warning of buying the S4 is still the DSG which is big time money to fix. The guys at Audi will tell you the b8.5 S4 DSG is better but only time will tell so budget for DSG fix if you want to keep the car out of warranty. Hint the b9 no longer uses the DSG with only a slight bump in power so you can see Audi knows about the problem in the b8 and b8.5
Second check the paint area in the wheel well to make sure it isn't flaking off.
I traded it in for the 440xi so comparing the two in performance they are really similar but the BMW feels lighter and better for spirited cornering but the S4 is a better highway cruiser( quieter ).That doesn't mean the S4 isn't sporty and it doesn't mean the 340/440 isn't a good highway cruiser just that one is better than the other. If you are coming from BMW than you will have to adjust driving style to get the most out of the S4 when cornering. The S4 cornering is as good as the BMW but it doesn't have the same feel but mechanical grip is no worse if driven properly.
In my opinion get either the S4 or 340/440 both really nice cars.
Appreciate 0