View Single Post
      02-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

I read this somewhere and I am totally confused :

If your car was production before 9/2010: it will come with a Y cable, because it would require that to connect your ipod to the usb&aux port. If it doesn't, make sure to ask the dealer for one as it should be included if you had ipod/usb option in the car.

If your car was produced 9/2010 and newer: it will not come with a Y cable. To connect the ipod to the USB port, all you require is a regular ipod cable you would use to connect the ipod to the computer. The cable which your ipod came with to connect to your computer will do just fine.

If you don't have a spare ipod USB cable right now, you COULD for the meantime use the Y cable you use in the Z4 to connect your ipod to the car, just connect both USB and AUX input like you do in your Z4, until you can get a new ipod/USB cable from the apple store/local Electronics store. A basic ipod - usb computer connector will suffice.

Also this :

"
Originally Posted by 3284me
2011 models don't need the Y adapter. Just use the white cable supplied with your iPod.
I have thoroughly tested this and 3284me is 100% correct. In my 2011 328i vert, plugging in the white cable from my iPod/iPhone into the USB port works EXACTLY the same as the BMW Y cable which I also have, that plugs into the USB and miniplug aux port. DO NOT buy the Y cable. If they give it to you, accept it with smiles, use it if you want, or use your apple cable."

I can vouch for this information, as my February 2011 production car has the ipod/usb connection in it and I was able to connect my ipod and my friend's iphone using a regular white iphone/ipod usb cable that I got from apple when I bought an ipod, and it worked just fine. It showed my playlists and music information in the idrive. :-)
Appreciate 0