View Single Post
      07-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
JD135i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Blackstone Labs oil analysis

I changed my oil at about 2,700 miles. I took a sample (after it had flowed for a few seconds) and sent the sample in to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. The attached .jpg is a scan of the report. I highlighted in yellow the values that are in bold on the report as it's a little tough to see after I converted it to a jpg.

I really don't know whether this report does, or does not, suggest that BMW's initial 15,000 mile oil change recommendation is too long.

Basically, the oil showed excess wear levels of aluminum, iron, copper and silicon. BUT - the lab said "don't be alarmed" by this, as it is common for new engines. (The metals are from the break-in process and the silicon from the casting process for some parts.)

The lab also said that the "TBN" level (which I think means total base-neutrals) was 4.2 "so you still had plenty of active additive remaining. 1.0 is low."

So: The oil had high metal levels, but we're still only talking about a few dozens of parts per million. The oil's additive components were still in good shape. As a technical matter, I don't know whether the relatively high parts per million of metals in the oil would reduce the effectiveness of the oil, such that it needed to be changed or not. But for me, I'm glad I did it.

I'll change the oil again at around 8,500 and see what comes back from Blackstone then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0