Thread: 2012 3 Series
View Single Post
      10-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
In my humble opinion, never, ever, ever buy first year's of a new generation car. two, three years later, owners always get the shaft. this goes with ANY manufacturer.

I believe the 3rd year are usually the sweet spots.
Until recently, I honestly believed this to be a myth. However, I bought a Acura TSX in its first year. I made the purchase because of Acura's vaunted reliability rep. Big mistake. Sold the damn thing after about five years and multiple problems with virtually every system in the car (except the engine). The thing that support what you are saying is that most of the problems were common among TSX owners in the first few years,and then subsequently corrected by Acura.

Always wait until the third year if you can, IMO. And, for the E90, it might even be worth waiting until the fourth year because there were so many changes in cabin electronics with year 3.

Regardless of what I personally believe, the hard data are support of what Nukezero is saying. First year of production is always the least reliable year.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0