View Single Post
      01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #145
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

I am surprised to hear this, I was not expecting but when i think more throughly it is not really surprising. Bmw used to have 2.5 I6 engine with 184 hp and people were buying it. Than the I6 got more and more power. Least powered 3 series became 240hp with F30. Yes in rest of the world cars get more and more power with advanced technology and small engines with turbos. The base 3 series in the world, 316i went from 105hp to 135hp in last 10 years. Thats a 30% increase.

However, US went opposite we started to see small hatcbacks with 4 bangers. Less V8`s etc. More concern of fuel consumption.

if you look at this picture Bmw definetly needs something around 180hp to fill the gap. Probably they didn`t want to introduce a third engine or didn`t want to offer a 4 cylinder engine hwile all bmws were 6 or 8 cylinders. But now it is the same engine and they already break the rule with N20 so no more barriers. For sure 320i will increase the sales of 3 series.

People who think 320i has the same consumption with 335i are mistaken with the EPA numbers. In real life I am sure there will be difference. If you look at the Europe numbers there is significant fuel consumption diffference between 335i and 320i.

I am happy because my 328i is no more the base 3 series but I paid 3k more for the same engine