Thread: X drive ftw
View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #124
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Not sure I see the point of all this internet banter...everyone else is wrong and probabilities can be interpreted either way.

Funny someone in Ann Arbor spun out...I lost control of my old prelude while getting on 94W from the Jackson on-ramp in decent snow and it was easily the scariest moment of my life. As a poor grad student, I couldn't really afford a fancy winter setup but I still figured out a way on a car worth 3k.

Just this morning on my commute some idiots came to a complete stop on 94, as everyone was slamming their brakes some old Pontiac POS flew by in the Emergency lane passing maybe 4 stopped cars cause he couldn't stop. For the record, it was about 20F with some left over snow.

If you're going to spend 40k+ on a car, I cannot really understand why you'd hedge your odds with respect to car controllability in a world of idiot motorists. My experiences in LA or NYC would concern me even more. Could you drive "safely" with a Z06 running summer tires...of course...but you have *severely* reduced your ability to react to the road. The *severely* is obviously the subject of debate in this thread, and everyone has a unique situation to judge if the severity justifies $1500. Making it up driveways vs stopping quickly are completely different metrics for the record.

I'm running quattro with PA4 performance winter tires - this also saves my nice rims from the salt, saves rims from pot holes inevitably forming post winter and extends the life of the summer tires. I have a garage and a jack, so no $$$ issue which makes it easier for me. Having lived in Boston for a little, I'd never want to own a nice car like this without a garage there, which I assume holds in any city.

And finally...obligatory Go Blue! Huge win last night...