07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Also what software updates are they referring to in respect to improving the steering feel? The Performance Pack?
There have been revised PN's for the steering rack which are said to have revised software as well. It has happened 2-3 times now.

The F30 in their test is their long-termer, it's production date is before any of the updated racks.

For this test, I say it again.

No surprises.

If it was 5 years ago and they brought out an E46 they would swoon for it and choose it over the E90. That is what they do.

These guys are not spending money on getting the best all around car-DD for their families. They are just visiting, vacationing.

Vacations are great, oh the fun. But plopping down the money to live there. That is what matters. A lot of the F30 makes it more appealing than the E90, enough so where people vote with money and make the choice to live with it every day. The things they are swooning about on vacation, the steering and lack of body roll, those are things I am more obsessed with in my pleasure car than my DD. There are reasons I and many others found enough good reasons to pass on the E90 for DD duties in the past 5 years. I voted with my wallet. I did not write an article about it. Every 6 months before the F30 I drove an E90-I was able to afford it, I wanted a second BMW parked next to my first. But it just gave me too many reasons to pass. The F30 did not.

Sure, it had lighter steering with a bit less feedback, a bit more body roll than I was used to. But I also seem to throw wheels/tires and springs at every car I have ever owned. Boom, F30 had more steering feel, more heft, and less body roll. It is how the F30 MSport should have been from day one. I drive E9x's now and long for nothing when I get back into my car.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0