07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Cars like the Gran Coupe, CLS and A7 are coupe styled sedans and this is nothing more than a new trend. Worry about marketing semantics will put you in a mental home well before your time.
i absolutely agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFatAngry View Post
This is just a trend IMO that will probably fade away, just like creating a new segment with the GT models in BMW, it's not an SUV and it's not a touring ... etc

Also I believe the CLS is one of the most beautiful cars around today I would love to own one, can't say the same about the 6 Gran Coupe
I would have to disagree with you here.

1)
Although We both know BMW didn't great the 4-door coupe trend...,
but you cannot compare and apply marketing trend of the GT to the GranCoupe (GC).

The GT might not have met the success in the US it was thought to be,
but in China it's a different story.

Personally, i think both the GT and GC can coexist and are great new car body styles. I will go even as far as calling them being in the same niche market... but just different demographic (one for younger and the other for older generation of people)

The GT is not really the first of its kind... remember the Renault Avant-Time
now that was awkward !... but boy do i want one !
that's traveling in Gran Style, but i digress...

2)
The 4-dr Coupe trend, has been going and growing slowly since the first MB CLS, followed by the VW Passat CC, then of course the Audi A7 and A5 (euro market), and shown by BMW concept car in the last few years...

This is a very desirable trend, especially in the Jet-Set Trend setter crowd

Dare i also mention the Kia Optima with its coupe like roof line ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGScuba View Post
Haven't seen a M6 gran coupe, but the A7 and CLS are beautiful cars - yes, I like their rooflines, even if they are sedans to boot.

But the Panamera... dear God, what was Porsche thinking when they designed that frog-like monstrosity?!?
Like it or not, the sporty 4-dr coupe is here to be growing stronger
so get used to it...
Appreciate 0